Dawn - Sometimes An Ultrarunner

Dawn - Sometimes An Ultrarunner

January 1, 2011

Housman Hundred entry confirmation!

YAY!  My LDWA Housman Hundred mile entry has been accepted!  As the race filled up in less than a week, I'm glad I had the form mailed in before the opening date.  Now I'm starting to get a bit scared, as this will be 40 miles farther than I've ever trodden before...and I remember how sore I was after just <gasp!> 60 miles.   I could barely drag myself into the finish hall and take off my shoes. 

And, given that this is England, the 100 miles won't be a nice graded path with sunshine and perfect weather.  More likely, it will probably include bogs, muddy cow pastures, stream crossings, scratchy heather, hidden rocks, fells, moors, many hilltop trig points, countless stile crossings of various designs meant to trip up tired legs, and more than a few steep climbs.   I'm sure that my feet will be soaked within a few miles, and damp through to the finish.  It will probably rain on our endless parade through the Shropshire countryside, and we will stolidly recite A.E. Housman poems under our breath, as we wipe water out of our eyes and plod ever onwards.  It could be windy as well, attempting to blow us off of our hilltop quests, which we will counteract by weighing ourselves down with the long list of required kit.   This includes but isn't limited to:  route description, map, compass, whistle, flashlight with spare batteries, mug, survival bag, first aid kit, mobile phone, waterproof top and bottom, fleece, and long pants (if shorts are worn), plus emergency food and drink.  I'm sure with all this junk, we'll need a large backpack to carry it in as well.  Night will fall on us once, or twice, depending on the speed of the slow crawl we are reduced to by the final miles.  In the light of our headlamps, we can expect to miss tiny trail junctions, and trackless moors will lead us astray.  Fog will descend at the worst time, in the dead of night, and our feet and legs will want nothing more than to sink down into the damp heather for a brief nap.

Luckily, the nine months I've now lived in this country have prepared me somewhat for such conditions.  I am lucky to live close enough to be able to walk or run to work every day, and that motivation to step out so often, has probably earned me more miles this year than all of my running races. Whereas for most of my races, there was actually decent weather (for the UK, anyway), my walks to work gave me a little bit of everything.  I don't think I've seen a warm (really warm, not just lukewarm!) sunny day since arriving, unless you count a week's escape to the Canary Islands.   But I have seen rain, fog, wind, snow, ice, cool, cold, and downright freezing conditions.   Arriving in the spring, it seemed like endless summer light for a while, but these last few winter months have accquainted me with the moon and the stars again, but how!   Still, I am amazed how many times I have walked without using my headlamp in complete darkness (plus one or more of the weather conditions listed above), and arrived without incident.  (Yes, mom, I wore a reflective jacket to warn the infrequent traffic.)  I was happy to see the shortest day of the year come and go, and on that day had a lovely walk to work while watching the beginning of the lunar eclipse.  Proof that it doesn't rain here every day.

Still, it's probably going to take something more than a few daily undulating miles of pavement to get me ready for a 100 mile trail race.   Hence my motivation for the Three Peaks walk on New Year's Eve.   Although it's still a bit early...the 100 miles won't arrive for almost 5 months.  So if between now and then, you see me out on the trails, point me towards the steepest fells (you know the ones, with the rain clouds hovering over them), and give me a push!

I'll leave you with some motivation, from the namesake of this year's Hundred, A.E. Houseman.

White in the moon the long road lies,
The moon stands blank above;
White in the moon the long road lies
That leads me from my love.

Still hangs the hedge without a gust,
Still, still the shadows stay:
My feet upon the moonlit dust
Pursue the ceaseless way.

The world is round, so travellers tell,
And straight though reach the track,
Trudge on, trudge on, 'twill all be well,
The way will guide one back.

But ere the circle homeward hies
Far, far must it remove:
White in the moon the long road lies
That leads me from my love.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, man...it's surely a sign that I'm reading too many running blogs when this sounds exciting rather than dreadful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, in the end, I am excited about the 100 miler, as well as scared. What I've concluded is that there is no easy 100. So I might as well try this one, as at least it's close to where I live, and "only" has 11,000 feet of climbing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck - that sounds like a great aim for the year ahead... I couldn't imagine doing a 100miler!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've picked the best 100 to start with. The support is second to none, though be sure to take your own electrolytes if you need them. The LDWA doesn't cater for runners. Well done for getting your entry in early enough. I was another of the 'lucky' ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. See you there, Nick. Fingers crossed already for good weather :) If there is such a thing here!

    ReplyDelete